Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Still fermenting...



Well, we are 9 days into the fermentation, and it's still bubbling a tad in the carboy. It's wrapped in the electric blanket and sitting right at 75 degrees. I'm thinking tomorrow it will be far enough along to start malolactic fermentation. Not very exciting compared to the daily routine of punching the cap of the must, but the wine is alive and coming along....

Meanwhile, my wife and I went on a very nice tour and tasting at Turtle Creek Winery last weekend and I learned a lot about larger-scale wine production, as well as vineyard management. We tasted a half dozen of their wines, mostly stuff sourced from California grapes but we did taste an excellent Riesling and Cabernet Franc that were produced from his estate grown (in Massachusetts!) grapes. What I admire about Kip is his absolute determination to grow classic vinifera varieties in Massachusetts. He has a lot more patience than me. Hence the reason I'm growing Marquette (a cold weather hybrid) in my yard!

Stay tuned!

Jacques

No comments:

Post a Comment